Small businesses have a lot to overcome when they are on the road to success. Small businesses in particular have a lot to deal with because they have a smaller budget and need to survive the tough competition of 2021.
One of the biggest issues is the endless struggle of providing a stable cash flow. New bills appear all the time and learning how to minimize them is key to improving profits and growing the business.
One key to reducing these bills is making sure that your small business is as energy-efficient as a whole. This includes the offices, the machines and appliances, how energy sources are handled, and how much energy is used on a monthly basis.
Luckily, there are ways to improve the energy efficiency of your business. Here are the top three ways that you can save energy and money while running a successful small business.
1. Upgrade Your Office Appliances
Always invest in energy-efficient equipment, as denoted by the ENERGY STAR rating. Proper appliances will work well with a minimal energy requirement and will save you money in the long run.
The following are some examples of high energy-consuming appliances:
- Air conditioner
- Heating devices
- Water heaters
Making these energy efficient can make a big difference on your energy bills.
2. Minimize Energy Use in the Office
There are several ways that office behavior can improve the energy efficiency of your business. Here are a few examples to get you started:
- Keep all appliances away from sunlight – especially the fridge. Appliances that become too hot need to use more energy to work properly.
- Install ceiling fans to reduce the amount of time you spend using an air conditioner. A ceiling fan can create a very comfortable environment by pushing the air downwards and creating a cooling effect in the process.
3. Use Your Lighting Efficiently
Lighting can be up to 40% of your small business’ total energy consumption if you aren’t careful about how you use it. Here are a few ways that you can use lighting more efficiently:
- Use natural sunlight as much as possible. Take advantage of this free lighting source and only use artificial lights once the sun begins to set.
- Turn off the lights any time you don’t need them.
- Consider replacing your current light bulbs with LEDs. They are much more energy-efficient and will save your business a significant amount of money on bills.
- Think about installing an EMS (energy management system) that will automatically control energy usage in your business. This includes lighting, air conditioning, and water heating.
Don’t Know Where to Start? Get A Free Energy Assessment
All you need to get started is to contact us for your Mass Save® no-cost virtual home energy assessment.
As a proud partner of the Mass Save® program, we are able to deliver a huge range of no-cost incentives that will increase your energy savings and reduce your bills.
As residents of Massachusetts ourselves, we are delighted to be able to use our expertise to help as many people as possible run a more energy-efficient business.