As the temperatures drop and the days get shorter, many of us begin to rely heavily on our water heaters to keep us warm and comfortable. However, did you know that heating water accounts for a significant portion of our energy consumption during the winter months? In fact, according to the Department of Energy, water heating can account for up to 18% of a home’s energy use. But don’t worry, there are simple and effective ways to save energy and money on your water heating bill during the cold season.
In this blog post, we will discuss tips and tricks for insulating pipes, lowering the temperature setting, and using a timer to maximize your water heater’s efficiency and reduce your energy consumption.
Energy Saving Tips for Water Heater
More often than not, you’ll be recommended to reduce hot water consumption, lower the thermostat of the heater, insulate the equipment, or buy a new and more energy efficient model of heater. There’s no doubt that these are practical and easy steps to do. However, most of the time, families tend to neglect these ideas. So, as a wise energy consumer, here’s what you can do in order to combat the cold without worrying too much about the cost.
- Insulate your hot water pipes: Insulating your hot water pipes can reduce heat loss and help keep the water in the pipes hot, reducing the amount of energy needed to heat the water.
- Lower the temperature setting: Most water heaters are set to 140°F by default, but you can lower the temperature to 120°F or even lower to save energy and still have hot water.
- Use a timer: If you have an electric water heater, you can use a timer to control when the heater turns on and off. This can help you save energy by only heating water during peak usage hours.
- Insulate your water heater: Insulating your water heater can help reduce heat loss and improve the efficiency of the heater.
- Service and maintain your water heater: Regular maintenance and service can help keep your water heater running efficiently, reducing energy consumption and prolonging the life of the unit.
- Consider a tankless water heater: Tankless water heaters are more energy efficient than traditional storage tank water heaters, as they only heat water as it is needed.
- Fix leaky faucets: Leaky faucets can waste a lot of hot water and increase your energy consumption.
- Take shorter showers: Shorter showers can also help reduce your water heating costs.
- Use cold water for laundry: Cold water can be just as effective as hot water for most types of laundry, and it uses less energy.
- Use low-flow showerheads: Low-flow showerheads use less water and, therefore, require less energy to heat the water.
Water heaters are not the only thing that can save you during harsh and chilly weather, you can also avail energy-consuming heat pumps. These are devices that can adjust the condition of your home even in the hottest weather conditions.
Why You Should Choose An Energy Saving Services Provider
You can always get information from the manufacturer’s manual or the internet can provide you with the necessary details. However, this can be a waste of time and resources when you lack experience or the required materials to handle improvement remedies. Energy saving services providers can help you solve your problems and answer your questions.
The New England Energy Efficiency Company, Neeeco, offers energy saving services and recommendable products that will help you attain quality home conditions without burning too much cash. Our team of professionals will surely help you with your needs and offer you a variety of applicable methods to make your household worry-free. In partnership with the Mass Save Program, your upgrade comes with rebates, incentives and a whole lot more. Call us now or set an appointment online.