According to the ASTM E283 or E2178, the material should:
- Be durable.
- Be able to restrict airflow through it, to no greater than 0.004CFM75 per square foot.
Such material include (but are not limited to):
- ½” gypsum board
- Rigid closed cell foam boards meeting ASTM C578 and ICC ES AC12
- Rigid fiberglass board with a flame spread 25 FSK facing
- Sheet metal flashing and aluminum coil stock
- Foil-faced bubble wrap
- Peel-and-stick flashing membranes,
- Other air barrier materials as listed in Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Research Highlights Technical Series 98-109, “Air Permeable of Building Materials”
- Spray applied foams that meet ICC ES AC 377 including:
- 2-part open-cell polyurethane foam (0.5pcf).
- 2-part medium-density closed-cell spray polyurethane foam (2.0pcf).